Scrobbling through proxy does still not work in RC 1

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Dec 1 20:06:29 UTC 2008

Leo Franchi wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2008, at 15:51, Jan Holthuis wrote:
>
>> OK, so the problem is getting the Proxy settings from the KDE4 system
>> settings to Qt4. Creating a QNetworkProxy-object should not be the
>> problem as this seems pretty trivial:
>> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qnetworkproxy.html
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the settings from KDE4.2
>> either,
>> but for now, it would be adequate if you used the $*_proxy environment
>> variables. I don't know what the code looks like, but that should be
>> too
>> hard to implement, so it would be nice to have that implemented before
>> Amarok2 is released. (I know, you're in freature freeze, but you could
>> consider it as a bug. ;-) )
>
> Creating the QNetworkProxy is simple. using environment variables is
> not portable and fragile, and as such i don't think thats the way we
> want to go with this.
>
> The proper solution involves getting proxy data out of KDE itself. I
> am investigating how to do this (where investigating==waiting to talk
> to thiago). Whether or not this gets into Amarok 2.0 depends on how
> complicated it is to implement. In any case, we will have a few quick
> 2.0.x releases to address bugs, and this will be fixed at the earliest
> opportunity.

The real proper solution is to use the configured system proxy settings,
for whichever system you are on (Qt is cross-platform after all).
Per-application settings are annoying, and if the user doesn't know a
particular application needs them, they may not figure out why things
work.  If Qt did this (I was told, very recently, that it doesn't), it
would make lives much easier.  Tell Thiago  :-)

--Jeff