Amarok 2 Beta

Christoph Spielmann spielc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:09:15 UTC 2008

Hi everybody!

Ian Monroe schrieb:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Christoph Spielmann <spielc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> As a long time user of Amarok i've been watching the development
>> progress of Amarok 2 with alot of interest. As the (first?) beta was
>> released last week i decided to give it a go this weekend. I was
>> positively surprised by the current state of the program. Almost
>> everything worked out of the box without the necessity of interference
>> from my side. For example last.fm-submission of my tracks worked as soon
>> as i entered correct username and password), scanning of my music
>> collection was quite fast and as far as i could see all my music files
>> are there... Only thing i couldn't get to work was QtScript (neither the
>> console nor the test script worked). When i start e.g. the
>> Script-console i get this:
>>

> Try using the latest SVN. The script bindings are now always generated.

I thought i'd let you know that using the latest svn-version did the
trick. I'm now able to use qtscript-plugins (i actually started to port
my plugin to qtscript, it's a bit tricky without real documentation but
well as i guess it will take a while till amarok 2 is released i won't
start to stress myself and you of course ;) ). After a few days of using
i remarked a few issues tho (probably you are already working on these
but i thought i'd mention them):

* Cover fetching seems to be broken. Sometimes it works but most of the
time it doesn't. From what i could gather from console output you are
still using amazon to fetch covers. I think i read that you planned to
use lastfm's web-services for cover-fetching, maybe this would be a
better solution for cover fetching.
* Manually setting the cover using the context menu doesn't seem to work
neither (im talking about the Fetch cover entry, the Set custom cover
menu-entry is working as expected on the other hand). Most of the time
the ui for selecting the cover just refuses to show up.
* Similar artists are a thing that i am REALLY missing! That was one of
the premier features for me in Amarok 1.4. Are there plans to readd this
to amarok 2? (i was actually astomished that this thing was missing as
you there is a checkbox for this feature in the lastfm-settings). Plus
as i need this for my plugin: Will there be a way to query this data
using the plugins-api?
* Another annoying thing is that the stop-after-current-track-feature is
not working. But as there is a qtscript-function for that already i
guess you'll add this feature to amarok 2 in the future right?

Beside the above mentioned things, amarok 2 is by far further in it's
development than i thought. I haven't experienced any crashes yet and
everything seems to run smoothly.

Once again: I'm really impressed by the current state of amarok 2!! So
keep up the good work,

Christoph