Changes in directorties w/ music files

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Thu Aug 28 07:45:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

>> how can i tell amarok how often it should scan a filesystem for changes
>> in new music, changes in id3 tags and so on. i have a rather big
>> directory structure in which my files resides, and amarok is scanning
>> almost every minute for new files, somtimes there are only a few seconds
>> between two scans.
[...]
> The normal incremental scan period is 60 seconds.  The reason it is so
> constant is so that Amarok picks up on changes (file additions and
> removals) quickly.  Since if nothing has changed the scan simply
> performs a few stats on a few directories, it's not usually an issue.
> You can of course turn the incremental scan off.

well, i've seen that for ages, or at least something similar. Think about
large collections: Amarok needs minutes to check all directories for changes.
Longer than the re-scan interval. So from the users point of view it seems
Amarok is more or less constantly scanning for new files.
So my first suggestion to improve performance for users with large collections
usually is, even before trying MySQL, to switch the "watch folders for changes"
option off. (Is it still on by deafult?)
AS a side note, when I first used Amarok in the 1.2/1.3 times I first thought
it was seriously broken due to the performance problems I had, until I figured
that out. Must have been one of my first bug reports. ;-)

cu
--
http://krohlas.de/blog/?eid=76