Moodbar in Amarok 2.0?

Daniel Winter dw at danielwinter.de
Thu Aug 21 12:30:30 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 13:44:46 Soren Harward wrote:>
> I looked at this last week, and discovered that it's not simply a
> matter of porting the old code to the new system.  The moodbar uses an
> algorithm to determine when the music "changes" at a certain point,
> and that algorithm is covered under US Patent 6,542,869.  I doubt that
> the moodbar authors knew about the patent, but it's there, and we'd
> have to completely rewrite the analysis algorithm to avoid
> infringement.  So I really hate to be a killjoy, but it seems like the
> moodbar is dead.

And what relevance has that patent in the rest of the world? Europe, china and
so on? (well I am not a lawyer so I do not know)

Because something can not be done because weird law in one country it can not
be done at all?

I think whenever possible free software should not say oh it is not allowed in
country x lets not do it at all..

At least I on my own computer will do whatever I want to, no matter what
patents someone under what law (even my own) has on that. I could as well get
the software from some servers in a part of the world where the politics have
realised that patents on such things kills innovations and at possibilites for
everyone.

Daniel