Moodbar in Amarok 2.0?

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 11:44:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Ofir Klinger <klinger.ofir at gmail.com> wrote:
> If so, what is need to be done so Moodbar will be included in Amarok 2.x?

I looked at this last week, and discovered that it's not simply a
matter of porting the old code to the new system.  The moodbar uses an
algorithm to determine when the music "changes" at a certain point,
and that algorithm is covered under US Patent 6,542,869.  I doubt that
the moodbar authors knew about the patent, but it's there, and we'd
have to completely rewrite the analysis algorithm to avoid
infringement.  So I really hate to be a killjoy, but it seems like the
moodbar is dead.

--
Soren Harward