[Feedback] database problem

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat Aug 16 19:33:19 UTC 2008

emielonline at gmail.com wrote:
> Emiel sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> To explain this problem, I need to explain how my system is set up. I've got
> Windows XP installed on a partition (NTFS) and Fedora core 8 on another
> (EXT3). The NTFS partition holds quite a bit of my music collection, since
> Windows cannot read EXT3 for some reason. I added that music folder to my
> collection in Amarok.
> Now, the problem: Amarok forgets about that folder every time my computer is
> rebooted. Therefore i have to scan that folder manually whenever i want to
> play music from that directory. (press the look through collection button
> again and wait for it to load). This is quite inconvenient, as well as
> unnecessary. I do not want to *tell* Amarok to check that partition since I
> already configured it correctly. I want Amarok to *know* what files it has
> access to.
> I suppose Linux only users won't experience this problem, but for users like
> me with a dual boot it's an unpleasant edge to an otherwise fine media
> player.

I dual-boot in the same setup -- NTFS partition holding my music -- and
I have never experienced problems like this.  So I'm not really sure
what to make of your report here.  Do you close Amarok properly when you
reboot, or do you just reboot Amarok when it's still running?  It could
be not saving preferences if it's not being shut down properly...?

--Jeff