Amarok article: last.fm - when do I need a profile, how is last.fm used for dynamic playlists?

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sun Sep 16 21:28:52 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Thanks. That cleared up quite some of my confusion. Well then Amarok was
> not using lastfm at all for my dynamic playlists all the time, cause I
> just use a dynamic playlists that gets its results from all tracks in my
> collection. And I thought Amarok was using it cause I was amazed by the
> good results of the choices it made most of the time.

People usually are surprised by the fact that the music they have is
the music they like. :) I know I was. Which is why I usually listen to
a slight variation of the "Random Mix" dynamic playlist (I exclude
audio books and a few albums I don't like).

> Is it possible to manually configure a playlist to use lastfm instead of
> using the preconfigured "Suggested Songs" one? Or is it even possible to
> compose a dynamic playlist taking an intelligent playlist as source +
> using lastfm on that then?

The Suggested Songs playlist is the only dynamic playlist that can use
last.fm information.