The folder path does not change to keep music organized neatly

Andrew Ash ash211 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:18:01 UTC 2007

I've had the same issue.

What I ended up doing was to "re-organize" all the tracks in my
collection (I forget if that is the correct terminology) and then the
files were moved to folder paths that reflected their tags.
Unfortunately, this leaves behind all the empty, misspelled folders in
your music folder, which I found and deleted using KDirStat.  It's a
pretty hacky way to just keep the folder paths reflecting the contents
of the files.

The way I see it, there are 2 ways to address the issue:

1) when the collection is re-organized, empty directories are pruned
from the collection.  This method would ensure that re-organizing the
collection keeps the directory structure clean, but requires manual
human intervention to keep it that way.

2) whenever a track is renamed, its location in the collection is
changed to reflect the new tags.  This may cause problems when
renaming large numbers of tracks, though.   This may be alleviated
with some sort of mechanism to space out the renames, so as to not
stress the system too much.

I think the approach 2 is the best way to achieve the behavior you
describe, Checho.  Unfortunately, I don't have a patch that can do
this.  Who knows, maybe this issue has already been accounted for in
the upcoming Amarok 2.0!

Andrew