[Feedback] Where can one get help with Amarok if one DO NOT use KDE ?

Dem Fra Hedehusene i Danmark post_overalt at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:18:00 UTC 2007

Hi Dan,

Thanks for helping me out - and trying to set me straight :D
 I posted some comments below - but in the rush I forgot how/where I logged this "complaint", which is why I answer directly ..
> From: admin at leinir.dk> To: amarok at kde.org; post_overalt at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [Feedback] Where can one get help with Amarok if one DO NOT use KDE ?> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:59:06 +0100> > Tuesday 30 October 2007 skrev post_overalt at hotmail.com:> > I tried getting help in the program, and then thing got funny :)> > it told me that I dont have some weird KDE programmes installed, so "it> > cant help me" ??> > I will probably get flemd to hell for saying this, but doesnt this sound> > like when Microsoft was trying to force people into Windows, if they wanted> > MediaPlayer(or was it the other way round).> > Are you trying to build the best Player for Linux , and at the same time,> > force us into KDE !?> > No, we are simply using the tools that are most pleasant to use for building > the software we want to build :)> (also, you really should not be slagging off MS when you've got the email > address you do, it makes you look not so good ;) )Point taken :) , if It were a fact that I abandoned M$, but I didnt. I really like how its abreeze to rip my cd's with mediaplayer.
I use Linux because I also love saving money - and Linux can (at least) do the same as Windows - just not so userfriendly...
I tried finding similar "service" in Linux, and most people said Amarok - and they seem right :)

> > > I might reveil now that I do not run KDE, but Gnome on my Archlinux, sorry> > about that ...> > I do not want to throw KDE on as well, just to get help with Amarok, which> > (incidently) seems rather well build, even if i'm not smart enough to> > understand it at first glance :)> > Now... i am not sure if you understand this, but you already have KDE on > your machine, since you installed Amarok ;) You have the KDE libraries, but > not KDE base, which is where applications such as the KDE Help Center reside. > Now, KDE Help Center is that which is used for help in KDE (much like the > GNOME Help browser name of which escapes me right now, since my opinions of > that desktop seem to be rather like yours of KDE ;) is used in GNOME).
I do understand , and I know Amarok is a kde app and will need some kde libs (and other stuff, obviously).
I just ended up using Gnome because I had a feeling it had a smaller fotprint than KDE. (And my previous machine was rather "flimsy", cpu/mem wise...)
But since the last Gnome update , I have lost all my menus, and cant find anywhere to reclaim them without having to crawl through dozens of xml/config files to figure out where it failed...)
So I might give up on Gnome and jump the KDE wagon after all ;)
> > > So : Can anybody help me get my cd's onto my disk ?> > Yes, by using the audiocd kio slave (yet another one of those nifty little > KDE technologies that make your life so much easier ;) ) - go into the Files > browser in Amarok and type in "audiocd:/" in the location field. Now just > navigate to the format you wish to rip into, select the tracks you want, drag > them, hover over the Collection browser button, wait for it to pop up, then > drop the files into the list view :) The rest should be self explanatory. > (and you might want to try #amarok on freenode next time, unlike what you > think, we -do- care about our gnome users, of which there are many)>
Thanks a million Dan, I think this is what I need - appreciate it !
I will try this asap !

/Brian Ryberg