[Feedback] Where can one get help with Amarok if one DO NOT use KDE ?

Gleb Litvjak blaster999 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:03:14 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 20:02:21 post_overalt at hotmail.com wrote:
> Have installed Amarok and wanted to rip my CD's to disk, but it is all
> rather confusing (also, I am not comfortable with the mount stuff under the
> "device" tabs...)
>
> But ... I havent got a clue how to start any kind of ripping like I would
> be able to do in Windows Media Player, and have it get the covers
> automatically and so on ....
>
> Sure, I can play an audio CD and I managed to manually click on something
> to make it get a cover for the audio cd, but how do I tell it to put the
> music to some kind of disk file ?
>
> I tried getting help in the program, and then thing got funny :)
> it told me that I dont have some weird KDE programmes installed, so "it
> cant help me" ??
> I will probably get flemd to hell for saying this, but doesnt this sound
> like when Microsoft was trying to force people into Windows, if they wanted
> MediaPlayer(or was it the other way round).
> Are you trying to build the best Player for Linux , and at the same time,
> force us into KDE !?

This is different. The main difference is that KDE is Free, both as speech and
beer. MSMP is free as the cheese in a mousetrap - to get it, you have to buy
window$.

Amarok depends on KDE not because the developers are evil, but just because it
uses functions and classes provided by it. Using already available libraries
instead of reinventing the wheel is a good programming practice, especially
in the world of F/OSS.

About the problem - this sure seems like a packaging issue. The distro's
package should install _all_ the dependencies. If you gave more specific
information (a way to reproduce the error, the exact message, Amarok version
etc), someone could find a solution to the problem.

BTW, Amarok runs great under Gnome, XFCE and probably all the WMs.

--
Registered Linux user #439949
http://counter.li.org/