multiple genre support: ongoing work? offer of help

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Oct 28 00:30:13 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2007, Morgan Venable wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm interested in getting involved in helping to get multiple genre
> > support working in Amarok -- from what I can tell googling around, there
> > hasn't been a lot of work on this except the occasional mention and
> > subsequent abandonment.
> > If I'm wrong, and my metadata is simply not in the right shape to take
> > advantage of an existing implementation, that would be great to know.
> >
> > Is there anyone working on this right now?
>
> It's already implemented. Look into labels.

To expand on this a bit:

Most tagging formats either allow a single string for Genre (which makes it
difficult to implement multiple genre support that has any sort of
compatibility across players) or a predefined value.  Either one sucks for
multiple genre support.

So, you should look into labels, as was previously mentioned.  But if you
really want to help out, you could start getting involved by figuring out how
labels should work in 2.0, and implementing them.  :-)

Warning: *don't* simply check out code and hack something together.  Talk to
the developers first.  Ask around in #amarok to be pointed to some.

--Jeff