multiple genre support: ongoing work? offer of help

Morgan Venable Morgan at MOTO.com
Sat Oct 27 20:26:39 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting involved in helping to get multiple genre
support working in Amarok -- from what I can tell googling around, there
hasn't been a lot of work on this except the occasional mention and
subsequent abandonment.
If I'm wrong, and my metadata is simply not in the right shape to take
advantage of an existing implementation, that would be great to know.

Is there anyone working on this right now?
If so:  can I be of assistance?
If not:  anyone have any recommendations regarding existing pitfalls,
issues, etc?

My primary interest is in multiply-linked user-defined genres, as
opposed to the potentially difficult AMG/genre/style/substyle hierarchy,
which I'm not convinced really maps to any real person's semantics.
I.e. I'm only interested in the top level for starters.

Just to be clear what I'm talking about:
Tag a song as punk, ska, and monkrock (i.e. non-AMG user-defined genre)
Go to punk, find it there.
Go to ska, find it there too.
Go to monkrock, find it there as well.

Any and all input welcome, off list if you like -- not familiar yet with
the level/type of traffic here.

thanks!

morgan

Morgan Venable