[Feedback] Database rescan

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Oct 1 22:53:03 UTC 2007

Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007, rostowski at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Wojciech Rostowski sent a message using the contact form at
>> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>>
>> Hi, I have a question. Why every rescan of my database consumes so much
>> time (aprox. 10 minutes) ?. I've got around 5000 songs, and a rescan on
>> foobar2000 takes up to 1 minute. Will Amarok 2.0 bring some new
>> improvements ? Cheers, Wojciech
>>

> I would imagine the rescan in foobar2000 is what we would call an update in
> amarok, and it is very fast because it only scans the files that changed.  A
> rescan re-reads the tags of every file in the collection so it takes awhile.
>
> The next time you make changes. try using the update command instead of
> rescan.

Also, the full rescan will be heavily dependent on how you're connecting
to files.  5000 files on a local disk shouldn't take long at all.  5000
songs on a network drive could easily take 10 minutes.  Foobar2000 is
Windows-only, so perhaps you have your music on a Windows machine that
is shared over the network to your Linux box?

--Jeff