[Feedback] Feature suggestion

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Nov 7 13:09:59 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> I'll go and read more about Nepomuk and Tracker a bit more. If such
> semi-abstract things are stored about a file (e.g. playcount etc.), can
> Xesam be made to push data back to the metadata storage (and whether
> this is stored in-file or by some other separate metadata db is up to
> the implementation/configuration of the indexer/manager)?

I think you'd use Nepomuk directly.  For instance, the labels feature in 1.4
could be ported to add Nepomuk tags onto audio files instead of storing stuff
in the Amarok DB.

> If not then I would imagine that either Xesam should be extended to
> support that, or a new FDO standard created to with this kind of use
> case. If there is no *standard* way of doing this then surely now is the
> time to get it right, as it would be a shame to see various media apps
> diverge on different approaches when a little planning could create a
> very nice interoperable system.

Have fun.  You're a little late to the party...see, for instance Tracker
(Ubuntu/Gnome) vs. Nepomuk (KDE).

Tracker's a new project started because, well, who knows.

Nepomuk tries to implement the features called for in the (IIRC)
17-million-euro study done by the EU.  If Nepomuk succeeds at that, it'll be
a very large superset of features of what Tracker does (the semantic side of
Tracker at least, since Tracker's also Yet Another Desktop Search Engine
too).

Anyways, Xesam shouldn't be extended for that, because Xesam is a language for
querying desktop search backends.  It has nothing to do AFAIK with semantic
information, and probably shouldn't.

You could feel free to come up with a standard querying language for
Nepomuk/Tracker though, if one doesn't exist...

--Jeff