[Feedback] Feature suggestion

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Nov 6 10:04:06 UTC 2007

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> Granted, but things like playcount etc. could in theory be stored in
>> e.g. ID3 tags, vorbis comments etc. in which case Strigi, Beagle etc.
>> *could* return that metadata (that was the vague logic behind my
>> comments above!).
>
> Oh boy.  Back to storing playcount in tags.  Trust me, quit while you're
> ahead  :-)

/me saves some dignity by emphasising the "could" bit more than he
originally intended and quietly slips off to the corner to avoid eye
contact....

:p

I'll go and read more about Nepomuk and Tracker a bit more. If such
semi-abstract things are stored about a file (e.g. playcount etc.), can
Xesam be made to push data back to the metadata storage (and whether
this is stored in-file or by some other separate metadata db is up to
the implementation/configuration of the indexer/manager)?

If not then I would imagine that either Xesam should be extended to
support that, or a new FDO standard created to with this kind of use
case. If there is no *standard* way of doing this then surely now is the
time to get it right, as it would be a shame to see various media apps
diverge on different approaches when a little planning could create a
very nice interoperable system.

Col