[Feedback] Where can one get help with Amarok if one DO NOT use KDE ?

Dem Fra Hedehusene i Danmark post_overalt at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:02:17 UTC 2007

Stupid me...

I plainly forgot where I threw this rant that I cant get Amarok to do what I want. So you get a mail directly for mailing my hotmail account.

I can get it ti do what I need, or should know how to get there, thanks to the kind mails from all of you.

Thanks a bundle!

Amarok IS really nice, I just wish they/you had put some generic helpsystem/file with the application, or simply made it extremely difficult to install/build the thing without also adding whatever else KDE it depends upon, to get all features.

To put it short, if I did install KDE, I would probably have found this answer myself without acting like a spoiled brat, suggesting that developers think like Microsoft :)))
Of course they dont ! , the thing is free (and featurepacked!) for cryin' out loud... ;)

Thanks again !

/Brian > From: kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> To: amarok at kde.org> Subject: Re: [Feedback] Where can one get help with Amarok if one DO NOT use KDE ?> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:44:15 -0400> CC: amara01emerson at gmail.com; post_overalt at hotmail.com> > Okay, to clear up a few things:> > Amarok does not have any native CD ripping support.> > Amarok will support ripping your CDs *indirectly* through the audiocd > kioslave.> > This is not an attempt to force one onto KDE. It's just making use of the > fact that Amarok supports kioslaves, and there happens to be this one > kioslave that will rip CDs transparently.> > To do this you'll generally need the kdemultimedia package, and probably the > kdebase package too.> > If you don't want to install this package you are not missing out on a single > feature of Amarok. It is not Amarok which does the CD ripping, it's the > kioslave...Amarok is just telling the kioslave where to put the files.> > So, as everyone else has said, this is not an attempt at lock-in or anything > sordid like that. If the audiocd kioslave didn't exist, Amarok wouldn't have > any ripping support at all. But it does exist, so Amarok can (because of the > way kioslaves work in the first place) use it as a source of files to move > into the collection. There's no magic here, it's a simple copy( src_url, > dst_url ) and the KDE libraries handle the rest.> > I'm sorry that you got the wrong impresion about all this, but hopefully that > has cleared things up.> > --Jeff