Amarok article

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Fri Nov 2 04:11:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi Greg!
>
> CC'd to you personally also, cause its an older thread.
>
> I just have a few more questions ;-).
>

> > Scoring is often misunderstood, because people try to think of it in
> > terms of a rating, but that is different.  Scoring is designed to tell
> > you what music you prefer by reporting what you actually listen to.  I
> > know it changed the way I purchase music because it is focused on the
> > the music I actually like instead of the music I thought I liked.  Much
> > of the criticism was centered around the scoring algorithm, but this
> > can be controlled by the user since scoring is done via script and the
> > user can create their own custom scoring script.
>
> Whats the criticism here?

Some people want some way of waiting playtime, so you don't have to play it
all the way through to get a high score, or want songs that are skipped to
not count as a play, or want some other scale, etc.  You name it, people have
asked for it.

> > A big one for me is feeding a dynamic playlist with a smart playlist
> > rather something static or user created.  I created a smart playlist
> > that selects songs with a score btween 80 and 95, with more than 8
> > plays, and hasn't been heard in 3 weeks.
>
> Why did you use a upper limit for the score (95)?

Well, this is just one of many and I used it as an example.  Sometimes I am
not in the mood to hear my very favorite tracks, so I like to exclude them.
makes things more interesting sometimes.  No other good reason.

> Yes. Thats cute. I usually SSH into my Amarok machine - an used ThinkPad
> T23 - and just use amarok -f when it plays a song, I do not like.
>
> It will be a challenge to fit all the good stuff into one article. I have
> installation, MP3 support, the context browser + all of the stuff it
> provides and intelligent as well as dynamic playlists covered - but so
> much is still missing.

Maybe you should write a book :)

--
Greg