[Feedback] Amarok rocks!

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed May 30 01:50:19 UTC 2007

On 5/29/07, jstalnak at wisc.edu <jstalnak at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Guy Stalnaker sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Folks, to all the developers and creative designers who've worked on
> Amarok, my thanks.  You've just done something that Apple's own iTunes
> could not do -- open a wrapped mp3 file (which plays fine in Amarok and
> RealPlayer but not Quicktime or iTunes on a MacBook) AND AND AND mount my
> iPod Shuffle (kubuntu 7.04 btw) AND let me transfer the file to it AND
> listen to it.  Very, very cool. This is hands down OpenSource at its
> finest.
>
> Since I have you on the line (as it were) there are only two, teensy
> things I, as a user, would like to see -- a better Collection browser.
> The ability to filter on Genre is great, but I have to go through the whole
> Edit Filter, Add Genre as the type, type in the Genre, hit go, etc.  Having
> a set of three drop down menus, one with the genres, one with the artists,
> and one with albums, would greatly simplify the filtering.  Also, though I
> know I'm in the minority, a better/smaller/more clealy designed mini-window
> would be very much welcomed.

Thanks for your praise!

Just use the Group By menu to group by genre (like you could do
Genre/Artist/Album). Then you'll be able to filter on genre.

We're dropping the miniwindow entirely for Amarok 2.0. This might
leave some breathing room for folks out there to create creative
alternatives as Amarok scripts.

Ian Monroe