[Feedback] recognition of danish letters

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat May 5 14:09:18 UTC 2007

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> Tuesday 01 May 2007 skrev lundbymads at hotmail.com:
>
>> Mads Lundby sent a message using the contact form at
>> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>>
>> I'm very pleased with the Amarok application. It is a shame though, that
>> danish letters æ, ø and å is not recognized when I import my danish
>> music. Though this may not be a huge problem, it sends the signal to me as
>> a non-english user, that the application is not fully developed.
>>
>> P.S. I have noticed, that there's a solution for my problem in the FAQ.
>> But I do not dare to fumble around with perl scripts just yet.
>>
>> Thank you and keep up the good work!
>>
> (that is, id3v1 should always be
> ISO8859-1, meaning that international characters, even Danish ones, get
> garbled), and id3v2 should always be UTF-8, meaning again that if you do
> anything else, it'll get garbled. Some tools unfortunately do it wrong, and
> as such it makes /us/ look bad for insisting on following the standards ;)

Not quite true...id3v2.4 should always be UTF-8, but versions prior to
that don't support internationalization, or in some weird format like
UTF-16.

Most players and devices only support up to id3v2.3 because of this --
implementing UTF-8 support is time-consuming.  But there's a big win on
this front -- Winamp finally got their act together.  So now we have
another player we can point to to say, "see, *they're* doing ID3v2.4
too, so tell your tagging application to get up to speed!"  :-)

--Jeff