[Feedback] ID3 Tags

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Mar 30 13:24:24 UTC 2007

Arie--

The tagging library we use does not support writing older versions of
ID3v2 tags.  However, we write both ID3v2.4 and ID3v1.1 tags to each
track, so players that do not support v2.4 should still be able to use
the functionality of ID3v1.

 From the id3.org web site: "A follow on version [to 2.3], 2.4, is
documented on this website but has not achieved popular status due to
some disagreements on some of the revisions and the tremendous inertia
present in the software and hardware marketplace."

v2.4 has been out since 2000 (yes, seven years).  It wouldn't be a bad
idea to write iRiver a letter and ask them to update their devices to
support 2.4, and help get rid of some of that inertia.

--Jeff