Amarok store frame work

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:13:05 UTC 2007

Hello William and Sheen, I assume that you know each other as you bot wrote
me about the same thing at the same time. I will try to answer your
questions as best I can.

The framework I am working on for Amarok 2.0 is meant to allow others online
services to be quickly integrated into Amarok. It is by no means a finished
work, and it's current form might change quite drastically, especially when
people like you start to use it and give feedback.

to start working with Amarok 2.0 you will need to follow the guide at:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/2.0_Development_HowTo. My personal recommendation
is to NOT use the
<http://kdesvn-build.kde.org/>kdesvn-build script since it is currently
quite outdated, but instead follow the guide at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Unstable_Version to install
the needed KDE4 development environment as a separate user, without changing
your existing user settings.

As for how to best work in a way that is helpfully to all, I would say, to
get started, simply build and work with Amarok2 and provide feedback,
comments or patches back to me. In the Amarok2 source, the framework can be
found at /src/servicebrowser  and a few example implementations services are
found in/src/servicebrowser/scriptableservice and
/src/servicebrowser/magnatunestore.

For further communications, I would recommend that you  send your mails to
the amarok mailing list (amarok at kde.org, sign up
This will allow the other developers to give feedback and advice as well!
Also, The other developer and I can be found on IRC channel #amarok at
freenode.net. Feel free to ask questions there about your ideas or about
problems building KDE4 or Amarok2.

Best regards

Nikolaj