SoC proposal

micha micha105 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:07:11 UTC 2007

Hello,

I had to think a lot about if I should try to participate.
But since I really love coding opensource, I decided to give it a try.
And being sponsored would allow me to do some opensource work, which I most
likely won't be able otherwise, since I'm earning my life by programming for
a company.

I've got three proposals, all related somehow to Kde, I'll send them to the
according mailing lists.

What I write here is not the official proposal, it's just a suggestion and
the question whether someone would like to be the mentor.

This proposal is about an alternative playlist for amarok.
 I've been thinking about such a playlist for 5 years now, but didn't find
the time to implement it yet.

One feature should be the ability to index cds and dvds.
This catalog should be searchable then.
If the user tries to play files which are not stored locally, amarok should
request the media and load the files into a cache.

Another feature would be a sort of filter chain.
The playlist should be divided into several windows, which the user can add
and remove dynamically.
Each window shows the possible choices of one filter.
These are the filters I'm thinking about:
Artist, style, mood, media, title, album, rating, tags, playlist, (..?).

Tagging mp3's should also be quite easy: If the users drags a file onto a
filter box, the file should be tagged with the item where it has been
dropped.
e.g. Drag abc.mp3 onto the filterbox for the style, say industrial, ->
abc.mp3 is now tagged with "industrial".
This should also work by dragging "industrial" onto abc.mp3.

The same should work for several files, selected either with the mouse or
e.g the tag "industrial".
e.g. drag the album "xyx" onto mood "happy" -> all files which belong to the
album "xyx" are tagged now with "happy".

This are just the ideas I have, it would be great if someone would like to
be the mentor.
Getting some hints would be great, especially because I don't know the
internals of amarok yet.

A very short biography of me:

I'm living in Nuremberg, Germany.
I started programming with 11 years, and was really fascinated.
Now I'm 27 years old, and still fascinated.
I've learned several programming languages in the years, but I'd say I love
cpp and perl.
I'm studying at the university Erlangen-Nuernberg a mixture (Magister) of
Philosophy, History and Psychology.
However, I'll have free this year until october, so I'd have plenty of time
for this proposal.

Best wishes,
Michael