End of Playlist Flac Files

Stuart Neill stuart.neill at neill.ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 7 01:18:46 UTC 2007

I've occasionally noticed that an encoded track would stop playing slightly
early (by roughly 0.25 - 0.5 sec). I had always put this down to some
encoding mistake on my part or faulty CD's. It's only particularly noticeable
on material recorded in the 1950's when the tunes of the time did tend to end
abruptly and the recording engineers did not allow much time for the last
note to decay.

I came across one such track today. I was surprised to find however that the
sound was only truncated when the track was played either singly or as the
last track on the playlist. (i.e. moving the track to the middle of a
playlist restored the sound of the missing ending). Re-encoding the track
from the original CD as both a .wav and a .flac shows that only the flac file
produces this truncated effect. The file plays without incident in Kaffine.

I don't know if this is a Xine problem, an Amarok problem or is down to my
antique computer but would be interested to find out.

Suse 10.2
Amarok 1.4.4.
--
Stuart Neill