33 1/3RPM to wav

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Sun Mar 4 01:05:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 March 2007 6:33:16 pm Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> I am about to embark on a job helping someone to get a 33 1/3 RPM old
> audio record (as if you could find a new one.
>
> Question number one is - I don't recall a true line level stereo input
> on PC sound card.  I do recall a AUX/CD stereo connector on the card or
> a 1/8" stereo Line IN (at least I would like to see one) that can accept
> a line from a HIFI type amp stereo line out.
>
>   From there I would have a linux mixer (qamix, kmix or the like) play
> back over the speakers that signal.  From a mixer I could create a
> audiofile.wav.
>
> Question #2  Anyone have knowledge from that point?
>
> I would ultimately like to burn the audiofile.wav to a CD
>
> Even better capture the music on www.sky.fm/smoothjazz which amarok does
> so well.

I've used the Gnome Wave Cleaner to clean audio recorded to .wav from LPs.
gwc.sf.net

I am unaware of any KDE-based app that can clean audio like GWC can,
particularly the cleaning of pops and clicks you'd get from a 333-1/3 LP.

I've also sed krec to record the audio through the Line In of the sound card.
The line in is stereo. You'll need an RCA/stero mini-plug adapter. Connect
the Line In to your stereo system in the same fashion you'd connect a tape
deck to your stereo. In this scenario, the computer is acting like a
recording device like a tape deck.

Of course, I haven't done this in quite some time... well over a year.

HTH,
TIm

P.S. This strikes me as off topic for this list, though...
--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
 14:15:58 up 4 days, 20:04,  0 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.10, 0.09