Amarok 1.4.5 and daap (mt-daapd)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Mar 2 00:12:48 UTC 2007

Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Please CC me, because I am not subscribed to the list.
>
> I am using Debian Sid up-to-date on several machines, with Amarok
> 1.4.4 with KDE 3.5.5 (or 1.4.5 with KDE 3.5.6 from experimental on
> some of them).
> I just installed mt-daapd server (v. 0.2.4+r1376-2) to share my music
> collection over the network. It is perfectly seen by my iBook
> (iTunes). However, I want to
> be able also to see this collection with Amarok on my other Debian
> machine. The daap server is correctly seen from that machine, when
> using avahi-discover (0.6.16-2)  (I add a service
> /etc/avahi/services). I followed
> the instructions given here: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Music_Sharing
> Everithing goes well until Point 9). At 10), I see no labelled folder
> corresponding to the mt-daapd server name. I can click on the button
> to add a computer. If I enter the IP of the server, everything is fine
> and I can play the music. However, I would have expected that at least
> entering the computer.local name broadcasted by avahi would have been
> enough. But this is not the case.
>
> Are there any special tricks to make configuration of DAAP easier with
> Amarok ? Thanks in advance.

There is a wiki page about it, but in short you need various KDE Network
stuff and you need a correctly installed/configured nss_mdns module too
(to do the name resolution via zeroconf/avahi).

Can you see your daap server via the command line tools (avahi)?

Crap help, others will do better than me - I'm really tired... sorry!

Col