[Feedback] single database, multiple computers | making amarok better

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Wed Jun 27 07:27:15 UTC 2007

On 2007.06.26. 20:04, David Lütolf wrote:
>>> Problem is that files are constantly being created and updated in
>>> Amarok's home directory.  If you get two instances of the app writing
>>> to the same place at the same time, you get corruption.  Not all file
>>> sharing systems properly (can and/or do) lock files.
>> that indeed would be sure to cause problems.
>> but having the ability to specify a prefix for 'personal tables'
>> (scores/ratings) would allow to move towards this goal.
>> if playlists are moved into the db for 2.0, that would also be one item
>> on the list less.
>
> that would be just excellent. and also the ability to see other users'
> ratings.. so when you're bored with your music you can check out what your
> sister or roommate likes :-)

this might be a bit complicated. actually, i would guess this would
never get implemented ;)
> I don't think so. but I recall seeing a plugin that copies covers to the album
> directory.. why not make this the default behaviour for amarok? (provided
> there is write access to the fs). the filename of the picture could be stored
> in the database

as sebr already pointed out, image licensing restricts this.
heh. i noticed that copycover seems to be updated for dynamic
collection. will have to try it out again ;)

>> in addition to using ratings, you might want to disable scoring while
>> doing this :
>> dcop amarok collection disableAutoScoring true
>> after you are finshed, remember to run
>> dcop amarok collection disableAutoScoring false
>> (or restart amarok - this setting will be reset)
>
> cool feature! does it apper anywhere else than in the source code or in your
> minds? ;-)

meaning ? is it documented ?
dcop functions are listed at http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/DCOP_Functions,
but indeed, this one is missing. i told sven about that, so hopefully it
gets added :)
  Rich