[Feedback] Request: A way to locally sort artists under same name

Corrin Lakeland Corrin.Lakeland at datamine.com
Mon Jun 25 02:53:49 UTC 2007

Mostly replying because I think Jeff was too harsh rather than because I
think such a feature is important.

> It's not a "pirate function".  If you share your legally obtained
> music with others over a home network in a media server type setup

Jeff: This is technically illegal.

Not in most countries.

> then you might want to keep other people on the network from editing
> the files and messing up the tags.  Or, if you have a read-only disc
> burned and mounted because your hard drive is full, you may want to be

> able to change an incorrect tag that was mistakenly left on the disc.

Jeff: Or you could reburn a proper CD later and never have to worry
about it again,
Jeff: even if you lose your database.

You only addressed the CD example.  For instance, my wife accesses our
music collection using a program less flexible than Amarok (iTunes, as
it happens). If I were to fix tags in Amarok then her access would be
broken and so, from my perspective, the music is read-only.  It seems
fairly reasonable that many people might have read-only access to a
shared music server (at work perhaps, or a kid the parents think might
accidentially corrupt the music).

> Though this can be used to aide illegal downloading, sure, it also has

> several legit use cases.

Jeff: Haven't figured one out yet.

Well, for instance, a lot of lectures are available in creative commons
and distributed by bittorrent.  It would be pretty reasonable to share
them, and  want to 'correct' the tags in Amarok without changing the
original.  For instance you might want to tag it as 'lecture' or 'open
source' where the original was tagged as 'podcast'.

I personally believe another layer over your music file system would add
far more complexity than tbe small benefits given above.  That said, I
think there would be benefits.