[Feedback] Request: A way to locally sort artists under same name

Andrew Ash ash211 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:44:44 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Moritz Hobe <m.o at online.de> wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 21:42:31 Ian Monroe wrote:
> > On 6/22/07, Andrew Ash <ash211 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Editing destroys the file integrity for P2P filesharing programs such
> > > as BitTorrent.  The protocol works on the principle that the local
> > > copies of the files that everyone has are identical.  So if Daniel
> > > edits the tags of those files then they are no longer useful for the
> > > network as a whole.  He would have to make another copy of the file
> > > just to fix the tags for display in Amarok.
> > >
> > > Think of the files as read-only, since that's closer to what they are
> > > in this case.

> > > I agree, it would be a mess and confusing, but it has a use case.
> > > Hopefully, if Amarok devs decide to take a shot at this case, it can
> > > be implemented cleanly.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking that Amarok can internally use the tags of the files as a
> > > starting point for its database, and then allow the user to change the
> > > attributes on the internal database but still have that entry
> > > associated with the read-only file.  Maybe an option in the Collection
> > > setup could be 'these files are read-only' (or be detected as such)
> > > and then this behavior could be applied to those files.
> > >
> > > Just an idea.

> > > Andrew
> >
> > Pirates can just keep a copy of their shared music somewhere else. Yeesh!
> >
> > Ian
>
> I'm not important, but I totally agree. We don't need special pirate-functions
> which make it easier to spread music illegally all over the web.
> "Even" musicians deserve money for their work.
> Be a part of the solution, not of the problem.

It's not a "pirate function".  If you share your legally obtained
music with others over a home network in a media server type setup,
then you might want to keep other people on the network from editing
the files and messing up the tags.  Or, if you have a read-only disc
burned and mounted because your hard drive is full, you may want to be
able to change an incorrect tag that was mistakenly left on the disc.

Though this can be used to aide illegal downloading, sure, it also has
several legit use cases.

And don't forget that not all music available via BitTorrent is
inherently illegal.  Creative Commons licensed music and other types
may also be available via P2P filesharing.

If Amarok devs believe it to be a valid function, then it will be
added in time.  If not, it won't be unless someone really wants it.  I
doesn't affect me personally, but others may enjoy the feature.