[Feedback] Possible cooperations

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 21:10:16 UTC 2007

Hello Benjamin,

I wrote the integrated Magnatune.com store included in Amarok 1.4.4
and later versions. I am currently working on adding a framework to
Amarok that will make it easy to integrate other services and stores
in a similar way. (I am prototyping this by adding support for
Jamendo.com, another Creative Commons site)

You should have a look at the latest stable version of Amarok and play
around with the integrated Magnatune.com store a bit, as this is the
level of integration that we can offer.

If you are interested in having your service added in a similar way,
all you basically need to do is make the needed information and API's
available to us. At a glance, your site seems very similar to
Magnatune.com, so for inspiration, I would suggest looking at their
XML feed http://magnatune.com/info/song_info.xml (which lists all
their content along with streaming urls for previewing) and their REST
API for purchasing which is listed at the bottom of
http://magnatune.com/info/api.

The next major version of Amarok (2.0) will also be available for
Windows and Mac, which will hopefully attract many new users who will
discover the music from the integrated services.

Also, I should mention that I am in contact with a French student who
is proposing a generic API for music services such as yourselves to
publish their content to 3rd party sites and programs (think an rss
feed for music) so this work might also interest you as this would
allow all music players to very quickly integrate new services.

Lastly our agreement with Magnatune (since they are making money
directly off our work) is that the Amarok project receives a 10%
commission on sales that occur directly through Amarok, this money
helps us pay for hosting costs, traveling to conferences and generally
making Amarok a better player, thus enabling it to reach more people.

Hope to hear from you soon

- Nikolaj