Amarok not adding newly added files to my collection

Mark Fraser kde at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 13:07:52 UTC 2007

In article <pan.2007.07.17.18.14.43 at telenet.be>,
   Frederik Himpe <fhimpe at telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi, this problem has been bugging me for months (at least). When I add
> new files to the directory where my music is stored, and for which Amarok
> is configured to watch for changes, these files do not appear, until I
> rescan my whole collection by hand. The option "Update Collection" does
> not suffice. Rhythmbox on the other hand, which watches the same
> directory, immediately sees the files.

I've been having the same problem for a while too.

> I have been looking for help on the IRC channel in the past already, and
> I thought I had found some possible causes. I was told that Amarok does
> not detect new folders if these are at the root level of a mount point
> (if this limitation is true, I think this really should be fixed, as this
> is a very common situation, and other applications handle this fine). My
> music is stored in /mnt/Music, which is an XFS file system on a seperate
> partition. But even when moving a new folder to an already detected
> subdirectory of /mnt/Music, Amarok still does not add the music.

My music is stored in /mnt/Big/Audio/ogg and /mnt/Big/Audio/MP3 depending
upon the format.

> So now currently I have a new album, which is stored in /mnt/Music/Pearl
> Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/, which is not detected, although the other
> contents of /mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/ are already in the collection. I found
> also this: cat ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/collection_scan.files
> /mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/01. Osunlade - A Cloudy
> Mist.ogg

The trouble is, sometimes Amarok will detect one album, but won't detect
the next one I add and will the one after. The only way I can get it
recognised is to do a rescan, but that doesn't always pick up all
tracks/albums either.