Amarok not adding newly added files to my collection

Frederik Himpe fhimpe at telenet.be
Tue Jul 17 18:14:45 UTC 2007

Hi, this problem has been bugging me for months (at least). When I add
new files to the directory where my music is stored, and for which Amarok
is configured to watch for changes, these files do not appear, until I
rescan my whole collection by hand. The option "Update Collection" does
not suffice. Rhythmbox on the other hand, which watches the same
directory, immediately sees the files.

I have been looking for help on the IRC channel in the past already, and
I thought I had found some possible causes. I was told that Amarok does
not detect new folders if these are at the root level of a mount point
(if this limitation is true, I think this really should be fixed, as this
is a very common situation, and other applications handle this fine). My
music is stored in /mnt/Music, which is an XFS file system on a seperate
partition. But even when moving a new folder to an already detected
subdirectory of /mnt/Music, Amarok still does not add the music.

So now currently I have a new album, which is stored in /mnt/Music/Pearl
Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/, which is not detected, although the other
contents of /mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/ are already in the collection. I found
also this: cat ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/collection_scan.files
/mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/01. Osunlade - A Cloudy
Mist.ogg
[...]

So the files actually have been scanned?! I saw no errors in ~/.xsession-
errors

These files can be played without any problem with Rhythmbox, and the
tags are valid:
$ ogginfo "/mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/01. Osunlade - A
Cloudy Mist.ogg"
Processing file "/mnt/Music/Pearl Jam/Osunlade/Elements Beyond/01.
Osunlade - A Cloudy Mist.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 5627c66c): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: AO; aoTuV b5 [20061024] (based on Xiph.Org's libVorbis)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 144.000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        ARTIST=Osunlade
        ALBUM=Elements Beyond
        TITLE=A Cloudy Mist
        DATE=2007
        TRACKNUMBER=01
        CDDB=99108f0a
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 9562610 bytes
        Playback length: 8m:58.240s
        Average bitrate: 142.131540 kb/s
Logical stream 1 ended

I hope somebody can help me finally debugging this annoying problem, so
this can be fixed for ever.

--
Frederik Himpe