Xine, amarok, kaffeine incompatibility

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 21:31:37 UTC 2007

Hi all,
This is a follow-up to my thread from last month:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/amarok/2007-June/003707.html

I had a freezing issue and removing not just the
~/.kde/share/*/amarok* but my entire home folder
seemed to solve the problem.

It appeared to me that this was just a temporary fix.
I had the same problems shortly after this. I
reinstalled my linux (Fedora 7) over. Even then I had
the freeze.

Having tried almost everything, I finally figured the
source of the problem.

When I start kaffeine, it creates a xine config file:

~/.xine/config

This file stays there even after I close kaffeine.
Then I start amarok. Amarok is aware of this new file.
It processes it and creates another file called:

~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/xine-config

And then amarok freezes after a couple tracks. (If the
~/.xine/config file doesn't exist amarok doesn't
create  the second file and it doesn't freeze.) This
second file has almost the same content as the first,
but the order of the options are different.

After a freeze occurs, erasing both files doesn't
prevent another freeze. I have to erase all of
~/.kde/share/*/amarok*

Then amarok works fine until I run kaffeine and
initialize amarok again with a ~/.xine/config file.

So, amarok doesn't like the file kaffeine creates.
Attached are both files (the config file kaffeine
creates and the xine-config file amarok creates after
having the kaffeine-created config file in my ~/.xine/
folder). The uncommented lines in both of these files
are:

.version:2
audio.device.alsa_front_device:default
engine.performance.memcpy_method:sse

In addition, the kaffeine-created config file has:

audio.volume.mixer_volume:84

The question is, what does amarok not like in that
file? The third line above might be the problematic
one. I am attaching my /etc/modprobe.conf and
/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist files in case one
needs my alsa modules configuration.

I have two sound cards. I use both. Maybe there is an
issue with this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have been
struggling with this freeze for over a month now.

Orcan

http://sims.yahoo.com/