Amarok and OS-X coreaudio issue

Viksit Gaur vik.list.chandler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:11:14 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm using Amarok 1.4.5 off the fink repositories on OS X Tiger, 10.4.10.
Ever since the beginning, I've noticed that at certain points (on either
a restart or shutdown, etc) when a song is played - all sound becomes
noise (something like radio static). I've tested this with all sorts of
file formats - Radio streams, MP3s, M4A's et al.

Usually, (and I haven't been able to reproduce the method by which this
gets fixed), one of the following combinations seem to work.

- Restart Amarok, X server (Apple X)
- Kill the coreaudio process
- Kill all kdeinit/amarok processes
- A system restart
- A combination of the above

Currently, however - none of the above options have worked. I thus went
and used Fink to update Amarok, and I now have the latest KDE4 Oxygen
icons (and whatever else was updated). But the static noise problem
still persists. I was wondering if anyone else has faced this issue out
there, or perhaps have an idea of what might be causing this?

I've read around, and people recommend using ESD rather than coreaudio,
but since Amarok functioned so well with coreaudio till a couple of days
ago - I don't think thats a good idea. or is it? (Wouldn't ESD
installation be a pain/redundant?)

Another question I've been asking myself is - what could have possibly
changed in order to suddenly render the sound output useless?

Cheers!
Viksit