A couple of suggestions

Ivo Bonev bonev at in.tum.de
Mon Jul 2 12:33:28 UTC 2007

Hi all,

first I have to say that I installed amarok before 2 days and I already
LOVE it. It is really great. I have however two suggestions which might
eventually have been proposed, considered or even implemented. Here they
are:

1. Proxy settings
I understand that Amarok is a KDE app, but it can (and should) be run
under Gnome too. For Joe, a gnome user, it is not so intuitive that he
needs to change the proxy settings in KDE's control center (apart from
changing them with the gnome tool for the rest of the system). This
means that when Joe goes into a new environment (laptop's env. changes
fast) he needs to change proxy settings in 2+1 places so that he can
listen to streams with amarok. It could be nicer if amarok could check
out gnome settings too.

2. Music on a share
Alice uses amarok on her laptop and at home she has a samba share with
music which is auto-mounted on her laptop. However when she is not home
amarok tries to query this media in vain as it is then not mounted.
Timeout does not exist or is taking too long forcing Alice to remove
this part of the media and add it each time she is (not) home.
It would be nice to be able to add "remote" media which is first (at
start and eventually in intervals) pinged and if not reachable marked as
"not currently usable" or whatever however allowing the local media to
be played. In this way when Alice gets home and gets connected to her
samba, the remote media is again available.

Best Regards,
Ivo