Bugs & Thoughts about Amarok 1.4.4

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 31 07:23:01 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007, Niklas Nylund wrote:
> 1) Items are not removed from playlist when removed from the collection

and later

> No, they don't get greyed out in the playlist tab. Adding the
> playlist after removing a file results gives me a song with title,
> length and a question mark under bitrate. Double clicking it makes it
> greyed out in the main playlist.

Okay, I think what you're seeing is that songs loaded from a predefined
playlist into the current Playlist aren't checked for existence (IIRC).
Assuming this is correct I would guess this happens because checking every
song on a playlist on load could be very time-consuming.  So this happens
when you try to play it.

In the move to 2.0 several of us have been wanting to move playlists to the
database.  This will allow Amarok File Tracking to be used with playlists,
which, for filetypes that are scannable into the Collection, will make it
easy to detect this kind of condition (and grey out tracks that are not in
existence anymore) upon loading the playlist without much overhead.  Further,
it would allow playlists to automatically have their URLs updated when a file
move is detected, which will also help keep this from being an issue.  So
right now the best answer to this "bug" is to wait for 2.0  :-)

--Jeff