Bugs & Thoughts about Amarok 1.4.4

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Tue Jan 30 20:40:43 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 21:13, Niklas Nylund wrote:
> 3) The filelist does not always refresh after a delete, sometimes I
> get a blank row and it doesn't disappear before I do a manual refresh

It's a KDELIBS thing. Whether this is a bug or a feature is probably
debatable. We can't change it anyway.

> 2) Why do I have to choose a lyric script/manager even though there
> is only one option in my install. Amarok should do this choice for me.

You're right. This was mostly laziness on our part.

> 5) It would be nice if Amarok saved the main playlist and other
> options (especially "Group by" setting in collection browser) every
> now and then. I never close Amarok, I use it until it crashes and
> thus also loses my playlist.

Options are mostly saved immediately. Some are not, but it's completely normal
to save options at program shutdown.

Playlist is not saved at runtime for performance reasons. However, this can be
easily achieved with a simple Amarok Script.

In general, I would rather have the program not crash at all, which would make
these efforts irrelevant. We try hard to tend to any crash report we receive.

> 6) The collection browser is kind of a mess. There are at least 5 (!)
> different places to change settings. First of "Group by" drop down
> menu, "Entire collection" drop down menu, sorting order, buttons for
> different view modes and finally "Configure folders". Somehow this
> should be easier and more polished, I can't even begin to think of
> how I would explain how the context browser works to a "non-
> technical" person.

I would agree. Alas, Amarok2 development is starting, and we'll probably
change the interface around.

> 7) There are too many ways that feedback is given to the user. Amarok
> gives feedback in at least the following ways,
> 	- The label/text in the lower left corner
> 	- A dialog box slides in from the bottom left corner
> 	- Konquerors dialogs when moving files to the collection
> 	- Maybe some other way that I can't remember now...
> It would be nice if these were more unified and all presented in the
> same fashion to the user.

I don't really agree with this.

--
Mark