Why was the character set override option removed?

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Tue Jan 23 22:26:25 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 23:06, Hans Ecke wrote:
> In old versions of Amarok, there used to be an option under "Collection"
> to specify the character set of id3v2 tags. I think that is because some
> older versions of id3v2 do not allow you to specify the character set.

The tag recoding was removed because it had very unpleasant side effects. In
this mode, TagLib would only write v1 tags, but not v2. This generated
considerable confusion and a constant stream of of bug reports.

If you need UTF-8 tags, you have to use a current ID3 version. V1 tags are
generally to be interpreted as ASCII.

--
Mark