Why was the character set override option removed?

Hans Ecke hans at mesoscopic.mines.edu
Tue Jan 23 22:06:12 UTC 2007

Hi-

In old versions of Amarok, there used to be an option under "Collection"
to specify the character set of id3v2 tags. I think that is because some
older versions of id3v2 do not allow you to specify the character set.

This feature has always worked great for me. I just set "utf-8",
rescaned the collection and everything "just worked".

This option was removed in some new version of Amarok and since I've had
nothing but trouble.

* The suggested solution (using mplib to upgrade the id3v2) does not
work for me: mplib crashes on a lot of my files.

* Solution: I managed to upgrade the id3v2 tags using mutagen (a python
tagging application)

* now xmms does not understand my MP3s anymore (it does not understand
v2.4)

* additionally, amarok crashes because taglib (current stable
version) does not understand my tags anymore either

* even today's SVN version of taglib crashes (I'm working on that with
the maintainer)

So why was this change made? Yes, some UI complexity and code complexity
was removed. But on the other hand, id3v2.4 seems to be very badly
supported under Linux. I've heard similar reports for Windows. The
change only makes things worse.

Sorry about this rant, but I've been fighting with amarok/taglib/mplib
all day and all only because I upgraded to 1.4.4. I really love amarok
and want to ditch xmms...

Thanks

Hans