Outputting to two sound cards

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 13:52:03 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 21:56, reuben firmin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two sound cards that I switch between, using the alsa configuration
> in the settings. This is a little kludgey, because I have to remember the
> "name" (e.g. plughw:1,0) of the card; it would be great if this was a
> dropdown. Also, it doesn't work consistently; it'll play two or three songs
> on the non-default sound card, and then xine will complain "cannot find a
> sound device for output", and the alsa configuration will be dumped in the
> settings (i.e. will revert to being default).
>
> What I'd really like to do is play to two sound cards simultaneously. Why?
> Because my second sound card is a usb dongle which broadcasts over
> bluetooth to a set of wireless speakers. These are in another room.
> Therefore, I'd like the ability to have the computer room and another room
> both having the same music piped to them (good for parties etc). Is there a
> way I can configure amarok to do this? Or do I have to get Jack set up and
> play with that?
>
> Thanks
> Reuben

Well, I have similar problem. Since I've inserted TV tuner card, it is
recognised by alsa as second audio mixer, and I have lots and lots of
troubles with various audio apps. Amarok loves to die with "xine couldn't
initialize audio stream" (or something like that) message, especially while
pausing, skipping tracks, or seeking manually. Xmms plays nicely after you
manage to start it (he can't find soundcard sometimes). Same with Codeine.
It has something to do with .alsarc file, I guess, but I haven't found out
what :/. Some ultimate alsa configuration guide would be useful :)

--
Ljubomir Simin
Registered Linux User #351181