Outputting to two sound cards

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 10 00:10:43 UTC 2007

reuben firmin wrote:
> What I'd really like to do is play to two sound cards simultaneously.
> Why? Because my second sound card is a usb dongle which broadcasts over
> bluetooth to a set of wireless speakers. These are in another room.
> Therefore, I'd like the ability to have the computer room and another
> room both having the same music piped to them (good for parties etc). Is
> there a way I can configure amarok to do this? Or do I have to get Jack
> set up and play with that?

I think there will be some .asoundrc magic you can do to achieve this
(not sure what exactly), but as you say the other option is Jack. I've
never had much success with Jack in the past but I really want to get it
working just like Core Audio on a Mac so I can seamlessly switch between
my internal lappy speakers and the USB ones when I want. Never quite got
there tho' :(

Col.