fadeout options

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Tue Jan 9 16:35:58 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 10:57 am, Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm glad that GUI for controlling fadeout options was added. But what do
> you say about fadeout on pause/play-pause? It's one of the options I miss
> in Amarok, and I believe it is present in Winamp as default.

I didn't realize this was done, which I think is good news.  I'll have to
check it out tonight.

Let me just throw some thoughts out there, because crossfade is something I
have thought a lot about, and everyone has different opinions on what it
should be.  IMHO, Rockbox has the crossfade just about perfect.  Let me
summarize its features:

Crossfade modes are 1) enable only on shuffle (listening to an album, there is
no crossfading), 2) track skip (crossfade only occurs at manual track
change), 3) shuffle and track skip (1 and 2 combined) and 4) always

Crossfade style which have the choices of crossfade (reduce the volume of song
A while increasing the volume of song B, useful on manual track change) or
mix (do not make volume changes, which is useful when tracks have natural
fade-in/fade-out).

Options for fade-in delay in seconds, fade-in duration in seconds, fade-out
delay in seconds, fade-out duration in seconds, crossfade style and crossfade
mode.

The there is also an option for fade-out on stop/pause, which is not really
crossfade.

This is a lot of options for sure, which goes against the grain a bit, but
these could be presented in a very logical way with nice defaults, not like
the xmms crossfade plugin, which has a lot of options but is very hard to
configure given the terminology and configure dialog layout.  As of now, it
is hard to use amarok as a DJ at a party because of the weakness of the
crossfade feature.  I think a lot of people would like some enhancement here
that gives the user more control.
--
Greg