Amarok as official Myth-Music replacement

Halim I. yallaone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 10:50:47 UTC 2007

All,

Beeing an avvid Amarok fan in my home office and MythTV fan in my living room, I propose that the Amarok and Myth teams invest a couple of hours in investigating how Amarok could be tweaked to be the preferred Myth-Music replacement plugin in MythTV.

The benefits for both Amarok and Myth exist on multiple levels. For Amarok, it would significantly increase the user-base and usability of the excellent work already gone into the program, and for MythTV, it would further propel MythTV into being the number one Linux-based mediacenter solution.
(I know MythTV is primarily a TV-centric solution, but when a PC is already present in the livingroom, it's no longer sufficient to be the best TV recorder/player - it should also be the best music-player)

As MythMusic appears to be virtually unmaintained, and Amarok is by far the most user-friendly and consistent Music-player available on any OS, I see only benefits from making a "Myth-port" of Amarok. Both are KDE/Qt-based, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I had better compatibility in my music-collection in my living room and office (both getting the source .ogg/.mp3's from the same NFS share).

I'm no expert programmer, but would very much like to contribute to an AmarkOnMyth-project if any of the expers on this list see the benefit?

The least we should do is open the item for discussion.

Happy New Year!