Covers

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Feb 28 02:54:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 19:29 +0100, Andreas Meyer Berntsen wrote:
> I've had the exact same problem now for months. I thought the problems
> were related to permissions on the front.jpg files (as some of them were
> wrong), but it's not the case.
>
> My thought is that it should be a "hidden/advanced preference" somewhere that
> you could specify the name of covers
> (front.jpg/cover.jpg/cd.jpg/folder.jpg...whateveryouwant.ext)
>
> Myself, I have all front covers named "front.jpg", back covers are
> named "back.jpg", and scans of the cd itself are named "cd.jpg".
> Additionally, if there's extra information ablut the release, I have a plain
> text file named "info.txt".
>
> .andreas.

I went into the code - here's the problem.  If you don't have at least
one file in the directory with id3 tags for artist and album it won't
use your cover pictures.  If you try to remove the covers in the cover
manager that you have downloaded (because you'd rather use your own
covers) it will delete YOUR cover files when it CAN find id3 tags with
artist and album.  I don't really want amarok deleting ANY of my files
so I'm a bit pissed off at the moment.  I was under the impression that
it would only remove it's own downloaded images that were stored in
~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers/cache.  You can check what album
covers get loaded by going to ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and doing the
following:

sqlite3 collection.db
.output dump.txt
.dump
.quit

Then edit dump.txt with your favorite text editor.  Or, you can do what
I did and put debug statements in the code to dump 'em on the fly ;-)
I'm not real happy about the way this handles the cover images, it
should have at least been documented.

According to the code it appears that image files with names containing
"front", "cover", or "folder" are the preferred images.

Jan