Thinking of switching to amarok. Few questions...

Andrew Ash ash211 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 05:14:58 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Simon Jackson <simon.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am about to make the switch to linux and im looking for the right
> music player. amarok seems to be taking the cake in almost every
> aspect. good work guys! i do have a few questions:
>
> 1) I like a wide variety of music, some much more than others. Is
> there a way i can tell amarok to play certain artists more than others

There are several.  You can rank songs higher than others and create a
playlist that skews towards the higher rated songs.  Also, Amarok has
an algorithm that analyzes how often you listen to songs and uses that
information to score each song.  You can then create a playlist that
skews towards higher analyzed songs.  You can also just choose to play
some songs more than others

> 2) is it possible to share a database with mythTV?

I've not yet heard of a way to do this, though Amarok has MySQL
support and there's been some buzz on the mailing list to get a mythTV
plugin set up.

> 3) In windows, i use Helium music manager heavily
> (http://helium-music-manager.com), how does amarok compare to it?

I have no experience with helium.

> 4) do song ratings save to the file or the database?

The ratings are saved to the database, though if you later move the
file Amarok will detect that change and apply the correct ratings,
cached lyrics, album art, etc.