Planning for 2.0

Gleb Litvjak blaster999 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:15:05 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 February 2007 01:52:07 Dan Meltzer wrote:
> TO USERS: What features do you think 2.0 should have that 1.4.5 doesn't?
> This is probably the best opportunity to add features, as everything is
> changing anyways.  What do you think Amarok needs to continue to be the
> best media player availible?

I'd like to see the following things:

- Plugins (not just scripts). I know, this has been discussed many times, and
making a good plugin API isn't easy, but this will allow Amarok to become
even more feature-rich without becoming bloatware.

- More DCOP (or DBUS as KDE will kiss the old good DCOP goodbye) calls, for
example to start/stop a certain visualization. I don't like to climb through
the menu and then scroll a dialog box just to start projectM. Alternatively,
more hotkey options would be fine

- More keyboard/LIRC friendly (maybe even integrate LIRC support). I know,
this isn't the highest priority, as only a few people actually have remote
controls attached to their PCs, but they will certainly appreciate this. Now
I cannot fully control Amarok with my remote, 'cause when I use TAB, as soon
as focus enters collection browser, it will never leave it, no matter what I
press. I'd like a shortcut to switch keyboard focus between the playlist and
the sidebar (or how's it called).

- More operations should be done as separate threads. Amarok 1.4.x has become
more responsive than 1.3 because of multi-threading, although sometimes (for
example, when doing a full collection rescan) it takes several seconds to
repaint the main window. Again, multithreading isn't trivial, but it's the
best solution, especially now, when multicore CPUs are relatively cheap.

Well, these are my suggestions. I'm just a user, not a developer, so I don't
know how relevant these are.

BTW, I *really* like the new Amarok 1.4.5 - it rocks! Thanks for the great
app!

--
Registered Linux user #439949
http://counter.li.org/