Fullscreen-Interface and Amarok 2.0

Jan Zarnikov jan.zarnikov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 01:06:34 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Marcel Urech <stokedfish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Christie Harris <dangle.baby at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All this does is demonstrates how useful the scripting interface to amarok
> is.
> > In fact, it's PERFECT for things like this ;)
>
> I'm afraid it's far from perfect...
>
> - some dcop calls that would be needed to make it even better are missing
>
> (get next song, get next album, get fullsize cover, and so on...)

Hi,

I'm the developer of the fullscreen gui posted on kde-apps.org.
(http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=52641)

I have to agree with you that the current dcop-interface is limited
and it is making the development of an external full screen gui very
difficult.
Like you said there are many dcop-calls that would make it much more easier:

QString fullCoverImage();
QString nextArtist();
QString nextTitle();
QString nextAlbum();
or
QStringList nextSongs();

DCOP also supports signal which can be very useful.
(http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/dcop.html#sec2.2.5)
Right now I have to check manualy every second if there was a song
change. That is far uneffective. It would be much nicer if I could
just wait the dcop-singal that occures on every song change.

Are there any future plans about the amarok interface? AFAIK Dcop
should be replaced by dbus in kde4.

Jan Zarnikov