amarok audio quality question

Gert Renckens gert.renckens at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:26:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been using Windows for a long time to play audio files.
Now I have switched to linux because there are much more possibilities in
the linux OS.
However, there is still something I can't fix.
When I played music in Windows (I used Winamp) the bass of the music was
very deep and the high tones like treble were very clear and sounded
excellent. (PS: keep in mind I'm an audiophile and I hear even the smallest
quality difference in audio files)
Now I use amarok for some time, but I can't get the same audio quality out
of it.
I tried playing with the equalizer settings, but even when all the
frequencies are at maximum level I still hear a not so deep bass and the
treble tones of the music are just not what I had in mind. I'm trying to get
the same audio quality as in the windows operating system, but whatever I
do, I don't reach that audio quality.
(PS: I use of course the same audio files I used in windows)

So now my question to the amarok team is: what could be the problem why my
music doesn't sound like on the windows operating system?  Could it be
because linux uses open source audio drivers instead of drivers made by the
company that made my on-board audio chip or is there something I can do to
increase the audio quality?
I use ALSA and I have an on-board audio chip (realtek). I also use the
latest amarok package for my linux distribution, openSUSE 10.2.

thanks in advance!
Gert