Ready. Steady. Amarok 2.0 development begins!!

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 2 13:57:13 UTC 2007

Alexandre Oliveira wrote:
>> * Interface redesign. We had a couple of suggestions already, but are
>> we ready to take such a huge leap? Conversely, Amarok has always been
>> at the front of the pack because we do take risks.
>
> Everybody has its share of suggestions regarding this. I'd like to see
> some testing with a playlist without columns. Maybe with the user
> setting the look of it in a similar way to how we set OSD now. Maybe
> having other playlists inside of the playlist, and having them show
> they're subplaylists. Maybe having grouping for contiguous tracks by
> the same artists/albums.

Although the configuration dialog could be quite complex for this, I've
always wanted to see a similar system to the OSD definition to be used
for each level of the collection browser too.

So level 1 is "artist", level 2 "album" etc. The syntax would allow
simile if/else statments too: e.g. "if(complilation){'Various
Artists'}else{artist}".

This would allow huge flexibility and please just about everyone
(especially people with classical collections and lots of mix CDs (where
there is the concept of an Album Artist rather than just the generic
"Various Artists" name)).

I've harped on about htis in the past so google for "meta librarian" and
I'm sure your find my rants :)

Col.