Idea: blue shading for podcast selection

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 03:31:52 UTC 2007

This is more of a general idea, rather than a real patch or working code.

In the current Amarok 2, the podcast menu has a blue text=selected , black
text=unselected. This a) doesn't really fit with the way podcasts work and b)
isn't consistent with the rest of kde: eg in KMail and Akregator, blue
text=unread , blue background = selected , black text = read. The status of
each podcast episode could be shown by the icon; either downloaded, loading,
or un-downloaded, seeing as most episodes don't have an icon anyways.

I tried making something that's kinda like that (attached if you want to see
it, but it's not ready. Also, my first time doing painting, so if I'm doing
it *all* wrong, let me know). I found that the flat blue was rather
unpleasing, so I tried making a gradient, and this is what I liked. I don't
know how to fix the flat blue at the left, though.

Unlike the example of KMail/Akregator, selecting a podcast doesn't make it
listened to. So the blue text of the "unheard" podcast can't look really
terrible on the blue selection. If this blue on blue is a really big problem,
you could make it black text while selected and then revert to blue text
after it isn't selected.

I think it looks ok, but I'd like your feedback on the idea. The one picture
is just a regular example. The second is a test with a blue on blue. I also
reduced the font size, if it's too small, that's not good either, but I
thought it was a bit big.

PS: if I'm doing it all wrong, please let me know how to do it the right way.

The pictures can be seen here:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6547/amarokkdepodcastblueshaij4.png
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6466/amarokkde4podcastblueshkq1.png
(They're ~150KB each)