Changing an NFS mount and path...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 1 17:32:02 UTC 2007

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2007, Greg Meyer wrote:
>> On Friday 30 November 2007, Ian Monroe wrote:
>>> The Advanced File Tracking should transition the statistics
>>> automatically.
>> Backup your database first.  I'm glad I did, cause it didn't work so good
>> the first time.
>
> There shouldn't really be a need.  If the file tracking doesn't find the files
> in the new location, it simply won't touch the URLs.  So worse thing that
> happens is that they're still in the old location, which is the boat you'd be
> in now.  (You may have to do a full rescan for it to pick everything up.)
>
> Of course, backing up your database regularly is always a good thing
> regardless...there's just no reason to panic about AFT  :-)

Cool. Fingers crossed on it "Just Working(tm)" :)

Incidentally someone pointed me to the "cause" of the "problem" which
was a kernel 2.6.18+ change. From NFS man page:

nosharecache   As of kernel 2.6.18, it is no longer possible  to  mount
              the same same filesystem with different mount options to
              a new mountpoint.  It was deemed unsafe to do so,  since
              cached  data  cannot  be  shared  between the two mount‐
              points. In consequence, files or directories  that  were
              common  to  both mountpoint subtrees could often be seen
              to be out of sync following an update.
              This  option  allows  administrators   to   select   the
              pre-2.6.18  behaviour, permitting the same filesystem to
              be mounted with different mount options.
              Beware: Use of this option is not recommended unless you
              are  certain that there are no hard links or subtrees of
              this mountpoint that are mounted elsewhere.

Col